Dutch local governments stimulate NZE for 15 homeowner associations
In 2017 local governments in the province of South Holland are providing funding for 15 homeowner associations to refurbish their apartment buildings to Net Zero Energy. This funding is available to associations consisting of 25 dwellings or more and will be used to provide comprehensive advice and support for transitioning their homes. These 15 projects will also serve as a learning platform, as participants share their experiences and create a knowledge base for future refurbishments.
Help is needed
Twenty five percent of the private housing stock in the Netherlands is organised into homeowner associations, and these associations often cover more than 25 dwellings. Until now, deep refurbishments like Net Zero Energy (NZE) makeovers have not been an easy choice. A lot of willing homeowners get lost in the myriad of decisions they need to make. Dutch local governments, Stroomversnelling and de MRDH (metropolis region of Rotterdam and Den Hague) have joined forces (with the help of Interreg funding) to stimulate and help homeowner organisations make this transition.
Providing good advice and coaching
Interreg are providing around 40% of the funding of this initiative, with local government contributing the other 60%.. This funding will provide support for15 homeowners associations to develop and realise their plans to refurbish their homes to Net Zero Energy. A coach and adviser will help homeowners choose the right concept to ensure that their wishes are translated into sound practices and guaranteed energy performances they will then receive further assistance to help them engage the right contractors for the job. After a NZE makeover the homeowners will have a comfortable modern house, largely financed by savings on their energy bill. The house will now supply enough energy for heating, hot water and household appliances.
How and when
In December 2016 funding for this project was announced and the call is now open for homeowner associations with zero energy ambitions until the end of 2018. To find the right associations, meetings will be organised in the first semester of 2017 with local governments and the first enthusiastic homeowner associations. Once a homeowner association has submitted a plan for a deep refurbishment, it will first be checked to ensure that it is feasible. Then, when a plan gets approved, homeowner associations will receive further support in choosing the right solution partner for their retrofit. There will be an ongoing effort to recruit homeowners associations until the maximum of 15 is achieved.
Overall there will be a lot to be learned from the 15 homeowner associations who refurbish to Net Zero Energy. Part of the process will involve sharing knowledge to help future homeowners associations wishing to refurbish to Net Zero Energy.