High rise net zero retrofit – the Netherlands
After a successful start bringing the Dutch Energiesprong approach for affordable, desirable, long-term performance guaranteed net zero energy (NZE) retrofits to Europe for single family homes (E=0), the coming three years we will see Energiesprong develop a market for apartment buildings in North West Europe under project: Mustbe0, funded by Interreg NWE. The UK, France, Germany and the Netherlands will join forces to create a viable path to scale.
Utrecht – “Flat with a future”
An ambitious project:
The complete renovation of an outdated Intervam flat on the Camera Obscuradreef in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
After a successful pilot with 8 homes that were made net zero in 10 weeks, construction company VIOS refurbished a total of 252 apartments and 15 new homes in the same neighbourhood to net zero energy homes. This was just the starting point for the Housing Organisation Mitros.
- Extend lifespan by 50 years
- High energy measures
- Design, completion, management and maintenance on the one hand, and agreement on the other
- Multi-year maintenance plans € 1,350 including VAT per home per year
- Resident satisfaction > 8
In addition, all homes also included a new kitchen, bathroom and toilet. New stucco, interior paintwork, interior doors, H&S work, switchgear, and new interior installations throughout. Asbestos must be remediated and we completed 15 new homes.
The successful project has received a lot of media attention and, at the end of 2019, it received an award at the prestigious Green Solutions Awards in the Sustainable Renovation category.
- Performance guarantee: 10 years
- Energy use before the renovation: 225 kWh/m2 per year
- Energy use after the renovation: 50 kWh/m2 per year
- Divided over energy use:
- Heating: 10,9 kWh/m2 (including ventilation)
- Warm Water: 14,2 kWh/m2
- Cooling: 0 kWh/m2
- Household consumption: 24,8 kWh/m2
- Energy savings: 175 kWh/m2 per year
- Production of energy through solar panels to achieve net zero energy: around 50 kWh/m2 per year
Most important elements:
- Ventilation by means of balanced ventilation with a Heat Recovery Unit
- CO2 controlled (system D)
- Air-water heat pump
- PV (solar panel) Insulation
- Entire shell thermally insulated:
roof: Rc= 6
closed façade: Rc = 4,5
open façade, triple glas: U-value = 0,5
ground floor: Rc = 4,5
cold bridges removed by local insulation and thermal breaks
- Design, Build & Maintain with Mitros Woningcorporatie
- Chain cooperation with chain partners VIOS Bouw
Click here for the complete photoalbum